• Question: How do you raise money?

    Asked by 446fasp24 to Stewart, Miriam, Marton, Laura, Kathryn, David on 5 Nov 2018.
    • Photo: David Ho

      David Ho answered on 5 Nov 2018:

      My PhD is funded by a UK government organisation called “STFC” (they also sponsor the fast computing zone here!). So that means I don’t have to pay to use the research facilities at my university, and I get enough money to live by paid to me every year.

      I also do some teaching of first-year university students to earn a bit more money on the side.

    • Photo: Laura Kent

      Laura Kent answered on 6 Nov 2018:

      For my work projects there are lots of funding bodies, as David has said. These sponsor scientists and projects so that they can make big leaps in science. Sometimes companies will also sponsor PhD students and other research that will benefit them.

      However, I have raised money for charity before by using bake sales and sponsored runs. Two years ago I cycled 100 miles from London to Surrey and back to London for charity! I was exhausted but it meant I got to eat a lot of pasta so it wasnt too bad.

    • Photo: Marton Olbei

      Marton Olbei answered on 6 Nov 2018:

      My PhD is funded by a government body called the BBSRC, they are in charge of most things related to biology.

      Usually as a scientist you raise money (for your projects) by applying for grants. What this means is you write a document where you detail what you would like to do in the next couple of years, what you would like to study and how, and this enters a sort of competition, where the best applicants get a sum of money they can use for research.

    • Photo: Miriam Hogg

      Miriam Hogg answered on 6 Nov 2018:

      I am also funded by the government as the others have said! I can also earn extra money by working at my university, the students doing their degrees in Physics often do homework or experiments and the PhD students can help with these and we get paid to do it.

    • Photo: Stewart Martin-Haugh

      Stewart Martin-Haugh answered on 8 Nov 2018:

      My job, along with most particle physics in the UK is directly funded by the government. Research like particle physics is quite expensive (up to billions of pounds), so different countries club together to build experiments. The biggest lab working in the area is CERN. To be part of CERN, every country has to pay a membership fee – the fee goes towards building and running the experiments, and employing staff to work on them.

      In other areas it’s quite different – e.g. if you’re a chemist, you might be able to get a job with a drug company designing pharmaceuticals. Very few companies or rich people fund particle physicists, but the government thinks it’s an important area so it keeps funding it.